Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Garden News



Our coffee is all trimmed knee height. The first ones which we cut awhile ago already have new growth. In between some of the coffees we're planting papayas. Some are males which don't bear fruit (although their flowers are suppose to be a good expectorant as a tea), others are females so hopefully we'll have homegrown papayas for breakfast.

We're working on our garden. We still have our herbs (oregano, basil, rosemary, parsley) and we have cherry tomatoes, peppers and kohl-rabi (which I've never tasted) planted. We have beefsteak tomatoes, 3 kinds of lettuces, cucumber and zucchini, thyme and parsley all in the semillero (where you start seeds), but I'm running around like crazy putting up wire blockades because our chickens are messing them up. It's nice to have our chickens loose...and these are the kind that don't give eggs when they're caged, but what a pain! They dig in the dirt to get comfortable and knock over the peppers...plus I think they've eaten any of the seeds we plant directly in the ground. Well...we're overdue for fresh poultry...too many ducks and too many chickens. In the meantime, I'll keep a careful eye on my seedlings and look for the perfect garden spot. Wish me luck...I'll keep you posted.

No comments: