Thursday, September 11, 2008

Fresh Food or Food is everywhere in Puerto Rico


We don't have a magnificent garden (yet), but we do have food to eat. As I look around, I see 3 fresh breadfruits (pana), a couple of avocados (aguacates), some oranges (chinas) and puerto rican pears (pluma rosas) falling from the trees. It's a little early for oranges, but you can see them slowly changing from green to orange. Although I try to "buy local" it seems that when the markets are selling avocados, I have my own. It's only in an off month(like December) when we want avocados and they are nowhere to be found...
Mangos are summer fruit, oranges are November through March...I wish I knew when everything pops up.
I remember a day when we were getting ready to eat a bacalao salad and Tony and I each said, "Wait a minute." We each headed out the door and in opposite directions and came back with an avocado. "Now we can eat!"

1 comment:

Evelyn said...

Those photos are making me hungry.

Some of the best and most fresh
fruit I had were there. Yummy.

I love the plantains. And more,
when Tony whip them up with garlic/olive oil topping--mmmm delicous.